As dentists we are always being asked about teeth whitening. Having brighter, lighter teeth is something a lot of our patients desire in order to give them the confidence to smile freely. To help anyone who wants whiter teeth we offer a range of the top treatments from brands such as Philips Zoom and Enlighten. Whilst we always recommend that you see a dentist for any whitening treatment as DIY kits are not always safe, you do not necessarily have to have your treatment done in practice. Take home teeth whitening is a popular option for convenience and one that we generally recommend.
What is take home teeth whitening?
Take home teeth whitening, as the name suggests, is a teeth whitening treatment that you carry out yourselves at home but under the guidance of your dentist. When you come into the practice for your initial consultation, we can explain the different treatments available and whether you will need to have an in-chair session at the start or end of your treatment to seal in the results.
After your initial appointment we will provide you with some custom made trays that fit snugly over your top and bottom teeth. You will also receive enough of the whitening gel to last for the duration of your treatment. All you need to do is apply the gel to the tray and wear it for the required length of time. It is usually recommended that you wear the whitening trays daily or overnight, for convenience and to ensure an uninterrupted period of time for the gel to act upon your teeth.
We’ll show you how to use the trays and also advise you on how to keep your teeth and gums clean whilst undergoing treatment and any dietary changes that might be required.
What are the benefits of take home teeth whitening?
There are many reasons why we recommend take-home whitening treatments to our patients. Primarily, because it can be more affordable and also because it is convenient. After your initial consultation, you do not need to come in for further appointments unless you opt for in-chair whitening to enhance the results.
The good news is that with the dentist take home teeth whitening treatments we offer, there are only minimal modifications you need to make to your diet and you can expect to see results in as little as seven days.
Zoom take home teeth whitening vs Enlighten take home teeth whitening
If you have been researching teeth whitening treatments ahead of your consultation then you have probably come across Zoom and Enlighten. As possibly the most popular products currently available, these two treatments offer great results and both come with a take home whitening option to enable you to whiten your teeth at your convenience.
Here’s a brief summary of what to expect from each treatment:
Zoom take home teeth whitening:
- You will have an in-chair session first to start the whitening process - this can whiten your teeth up to 6 shades in just one hour.
- We provide the mouth guards and whitening gel for you to use overnight or daily, to top up the whitening.
- Results can be seen in as little as 7-10 days.
- You may be advised to avoid drinks that can stain your teeth during treatment - this includes cola, red wine, tea and coffee.
Enlighten take home teeth whitening:
- We provide a two-week take home whitening kit, including trays and gel, for you to gradually whiten your teeth.
- You can come into the practice for a 40-minute top up session at the end of your at home treatment to seal in the results.
- You can continue to eat and drink as normal during your take home treatment.
- Results will be seen in just 2-4 weeks after starting treatment.
Find out more about teeth whitening at Riverside Dental Spa
To talk in more detail about the options available we recommend an initial consultation with our dental team, to make sure you are suitable for teeth whitening.
Please get in touch to book an appointment or to find out more about our full range of treatments.