Everyone’s definition of the perfect smile is different - and whatever your perfect smile looks like, cosmetic dentistry is a comprehensive field of dentistry that is sure to have the best procedure to realise your vision. One of the most popular procedures is cosmetic fillings that improve your appearance and strengthen your teeth. Whether you want to fix a chipped tooth, close gaps, or restore decayed teeth, this treatment offers a versatile solution that blends seamlessly with your natural teeth, so read on to explore how these fillings can restore your smile and boost your confidence.
Cosmetic fillings, also known as tooth-coloured fillings or white fillings, are dental restorations used to repair damaged teeth. Unlike traditional silver fillings, these fillings are made from tooth-coloured materials such as composite resin, which closely match the colour of your natural teeth, making them virtually undetectable. This makes them virtually indistinguishable from the rest of your teeth, ensuring a seamless blend with the rest of your smile and eliminating the aesthetic concerns usually associated with metallic fillings.
Not only do they enhance your appearance, but white fillings also provide functional benefits by strengthening your teeth and preventing further decay. With advancements in dental technology, these fillings are now more durable and long-lasting than ever before. These improvements involve bonding the fillings directly to the tooth structure, providing support to the weakened or damaged tooth and helping to restore its natural function, allowing you to bite, chew, and speak without any discomfort or difficulty.
Composite fillings also prevent further decay. Unlike silver amalgam fillings, which expand and contract with temperature changes, these fillings are less likely to cause cracks or fractures in the tooth, preserving the tooth's integrity and reducing the risk of additional decay or damage. They also require less removal of healthy tooth structure compared to traditional fillings, preserving more of your natural tooth and resulting in a stronger and healthier tooth overall.
When Do You Need Cosmetic Fillings
Composite fillings are used to treat a variety of dental problems, including tooth decay, chipped or broken teeth, worn-down teeth, and even to close small gaps between teeth. They provide both functional and aesthetic benefits, restoring the structure and appearance of your teeth, while preserving their natural look for an inconspicuous, simple restoration.
Tooth decay is a common dental problem that affects people of all ages. It occurs when bacteria in your mouth produce acids that wear down the enamel, the protective outer layer of your teeth, causing cavities or holes. If left untreated, tooth decay can lead to pain, infection, and often tooth loss, so it is always best to contact us to discuss your options if you begin to notice tooth decay. When faced with tooth decay, white fillings offer an effective solution. By removing the decayed portion of the tooth and filling the cavity with a tooth-coloured material, we can restore the tooth's shape, strength, and function, without compromising on the look of your teeth. This not only prevents further decay but also improves the appearance of the affected tooth.
Whilst composite fillings are primarily used to deal with tooth decay, they can also be used to repair chipped or broken teeth. Accidents, injuries, or even biting down on hard objects can cause teeth to chip, crack, or break, which will affect your smile and lead to sensitivity, pain, and difficulty eating. Composite fillings provide a quick and reliable solution for restoring the damaged tooth, and are also an effective way to reduce gaps between the teeth, offering a comprehensive approach to cosmetic and structural restorative dentistry.
The process of getting white fillings typically involves the following steps:
- Consultation: The first step is to schedule a consultation with us once you notice decay, damage, or crowding in your teeth. This initial visit is the opportunity to discuss your goals for your style, and to allow our practitioners to evaluate your oral health and cosmetic and structural issues. This is also a good opportunity for you to ask any questions or voice any concerns that you may have, and for us to discuss your requirements and determine if fillings are the right solution for you.
- Preparation: Once both you and our practitioners have discussed the procedure and decided that fillings are the best choice for you, we can begin the treatment. When opting for a tooth-coloured filling, your treatment can be completed in a single visit, in as little as half an hour, unless you are having several teeth treated. The procedure starts off by preparing the affected tooth by removing any decayed or damaged portions under local anaesthesia to ensure your comfort throughout the procedure.
- Colour Matching: After the tooth is prepared, our dentists will use shade guides to match the colour of the filling material to your natural teeth. This ensures that the filling will blend seamlessly with your other teeth and create a natural, confident smile.
- Application: The tooth-coloured composite filling material is then applied to the prepared tooth in layers. Each layer is hardened using a special curing light, ensuring the filling material bonds securely to the tooth to protect and boost the structural integrity of your smile.
- Shaping and Polishing: Once the filling material is applied and hardened, we will shape and polish it to achieve a natural appearance and a comfortable fit. This includes shaping the filling to fill in any cracks or gaps, and removing any excess material, ensuring the filling aligns properly with your bite.
- Post-Procedure Care: Here at Riverside, we focus upon long-term care and making sure that you are equipped with all the knowledge you need to make your new fillings last. Your dentist will provide instructions on how to care for your fillings, including proper oral hygiene practices and any dietary restrictions. It is essential to follow these guidelines to maintain the longevity and appearance of your fillings and to enjoy the benefits of them for many years to come. Maintain good oral hygiene, avoid staining substances, and attend regular dental check-ups to allow us to monitor the condition of your fillings and make any adjustments.
Achieving a Brighter Smile with Cosmetic Fillings
Whatever your cosmetic, structural, or restorative needs, we are here to restore your smile and boost your confidence. With their natural appearance, durability, and ability to preserve healthy tooth structure, this discrete procedure is an excellent choice for achieving a brighter smile without compromising on appearance or durability.
If you are considering cosmetic fillings in London, contact us today to book an appointment or speak to our team about your cosmetic dentistry requirements.