National Smile Month started on 16th May and it’s the perfect time for dental professionals and patients to put added focus on the importance of good oral health. This year it is particularly crucial as the cost of living continues to rise and research suggests that more than 1 in 3 adults in the UK is putting off going to the dentist in order to save money. This National Smile Month we want to show you how having a healthy mouth is affordable and reveal the ways in which we can help you achieve this.
Top Tips for a Healthy Mouth
From replacing your toothbrush before it becomes less effective, to keeping up with regular dental check ups, there are lots of ways to keep a healthy mouth without breaking the bank so let’s look at some top tips, courtesy of the Oral Health Foundation.
- Take great care of your teeth, gums and mouth - by brushing and flossing or using an interdental toothbrush twice daily, you can help prevent the buildup of plaque which can lead to cavities and the need for costly treatments such as fillings, root canals or extractions.
- Eat a healthy diet and limit your sugar intake - by eating a healthy diet and limiting the amount of sugary snacks you eat, you can also prevent the build up of bacteria and plaque which can lead to dental decay.
- Swap your toothbrush for an electric toothbrush - all the latest studies show that electric toothbrushes are more effective at removing debris and bacteria from the teeth than brushing with a manual toothbrush. They also have two-minute timers to make sure you’re brushing for the recommending amount of time.
- Change your toothbrush or toothbrush head every 3 months or sooner if they look damaged. By buying your toothbrushes, toothbrush heads and toothpaste in bulk, you can also save money in the long run.
- Attend regular dental appointments - from your twice yearly check up to a scale and polish, it will be money well spent as regular check ups help to identify potential dental issues before they escalate and end up costing you a lot of money. After all, it’s much cheaper to have a filling than a root canal treatment!
- Consider joining a dental plan - not only do regular dental appointments help reduce the risk of oral disease but they enable you to spread the costs on a monthly basis, just as you would your other household bills. We have two dental plans to choose from - starting from under £21 per month - and including regular check ups, dental hygienist appointments, discounts off treatment and emergency/worldwide dental insurance cover.
- Speak to your dentist about the best products for you - whilst there are a range of premium dental products on the market, they might not be best for you, so don't rush and splash your cash without speaking to the experts first as there may be more cost effective alternatives that will better suit your teeth and gums.
Save on Dental Treatments with 0% Finance and our Dental Payment Plan
In addition to our dental payment plan, we also offer 0% finance on selected treatments to help you spread the cost. With options up to 12 months, no deposit or extra costs, it’s the easy option for paying for your treatment and making your dental care more affordable.
For more information on spreading the cost of your treatments or to find out more about our dental payment plans please contact us on 020 7091 0677 or ask at your next appointment.